Friday 29 June 2012

Prius MPG Review 29-June-2012

With the roof bars off, the fuel economy has gone back up to 50.9mpg.  In fact, earlier today, on a run to Cupar, the computer displayed average mpg of 51.0.   I am starting to get the fuel economy back to the 54 to 55 range where it was about a year ago (minus roof bars).



One thing I think is going against my favour is that most of my journeys last between 5 to 10 minutes long.  This is to run the children to school - a distance of two miles.  Typically the engine starts from cold, runs to the point where it is warmed up, then, journey over.  I think if I were doing regular, longer runs then I'd see an improvement in fuel economy.  For instance, on a twenty minute run to St. Andrews during the week the mpg for that jorney was in the low 70s.  This was a good straight, long unbroken run on a fairly level road combined with running the engine/hybrid system at optimum temperature - and the results speak for themselves.  There are so many factors affecting this mpg figure, aren't there!

No comments:

Post a Comment